Jack and Jill


Bickering. That is what they always do, from where to eat and even their football team. I chuckled when Jill dismissed Jack with a whatever. Very original, I thought. Then the silence came, only the sound of Jack’s mix CD serves as background music. Jack cranked up the volume when I guess the silence was becoming unbearable. I decided then that maybe I should start talking again.

“I’m hungry,” I said.

Right on cue, both of them put on their parent mode.

“Ok, what do you want to eat?” Jill asked.
“We can go wherever you want,” said Jack.

See, parental. The indulgent kind. It is very tempting to take advantage of these two. Jill’s voice from that day rang in my head. “It’s okay; you still have me and Jack.”

I smiled and said we should get burgers. Not the ones serve at those fancy restaurants, but the big, real, greasy burgers that just scream heart attack and calories. Jack seemed eager enough while Jill just grimaced. I felt bad instantly and told Jack that maybe we should just go to whatever we saw first. And sure enough, with Jack’s direction we saw a fast food joint. Score one for Jack.

I sat across of them when we got our food. We dove into our silly conversations, talking about the future and what we might go through. I stole a fry from Jack and dipped it in Jill’s ice cream. “You know, I think I love you guys,” I said.

Both of them momentarily froze. I used that quick second to steal more fries. Damn, those suckers tasted great that day. Jack cleared his throat and Jill shifted her weight in her seat. Without being cued, both of them said “me thinks so too.” It was perfect.

No comments: